Jobs for Young Adults is a 34 hour job readiness/life skills workshop for young adults ages 16 to 20 years. This program was developed by employers from all industries in the Topeka area.
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving on the Job
- Getting Along with Boss and Co-worker
- Application Guidelines
- Financial Literacy
Upon completion of the workshop participants are certified as "job ready" and will have access to our 150 employers who have agreed to interview graduates of the program as positions become available.
Benefits to you are having the inside scoop on what employers are looking for, 150 employers, and a major advocate for you to make sure the employer is following labor laws and that you like your job.
We conduct a 6 month follow-up with you and your employer. We are able to talk with employers about your concerns, as the employers really don't want parents calling them and the privacy act keeps the employers from giving information to others without a release.
You will be entitled to a second job search as long as you gave proper notice, were not fired for stealing, doing drugs/alcohol on the job or walking out without notice.
How Do You Get Involved?
Just call our office and set up a time to come in a learn more about the program, fill out some enrollment forms and receive your schedule of workshop dates and times.
We hold workshops every month. They begin on Saturday (during the school year) and then Monday-Thursday 3:45 to 5:45 for two weeks.
The Jobs for Young Adults program has recieved several National Awards:
- 1984, One of six national model programs - US Health and Human Services, Washington DC
- 1985, Special commendation by President Ronald Reagan
- 1986, United States, employment program representative - United Nations Youth Conference, Chicago
- 1988, One of 30 featured models, Partnerships for Youth 2000 National Resources Center for Youth, Oklahoma City
- 1997, Recognized by the Koch Crime Commission as a Crim Prevention Model